Monday 3 September 2012

The Many Faces of Tiger Balm

First things first, this is not a glamorous beauty related post as such, but more of a practical/useful one - I hope it will come in handy for you! So it is no secret that this turbulent weather has made a paradise for all thing insect-y. The warm, wet, then dry weather has meant that they have come out in full force. Now, usually when on holiday, I am not a target for them. I may get the odd one or two, but on the whole they just don't seem to really go for me (famous last words).

This all changed when a few weeks ago, my housemate and I gave our house a real top to bottom clean and threw open all of the windows. Later in the evening, we lit a scented candle and watched the telly, still with the windows open. I'm not sure whether it was the candle, or the light that did it, but the little buggers came in and nipped me all over the tops of my legs and ankles. I was doing well not to itch them during the day (this was SO hard) but at night, when asleep, it seems I couldn't help myself.

I thought after slathering on the Germolene for a few days, they would go down. Long story short - three weeks later, they were still itching like hell. I had tried all the usual tricks, making a cross with your fingernail etc., but to no avail. One night last week, I was chatting with a friend of mine. Now, she is a nurse, and also an Aussie (lots of mosquito experience!) and she told me that the best thing to use was Tiger Balm. I was a little dubious as I thought this was reserved for aches and pains in your muscles and joints. Nevertheless, I was keen to try anything that would stop the itching, and out I popped to Boots to pick myself some up.



I purchased the Red Ointment as it was all my local Boots had to offer. Although it does the job perfectly, I know there are other types on offer for more specific ailments. It contains: Natural Camphor, Menthol, Clove Oil, Cajuput Oil, Cinnamon Oil and finally Dementholised Mint Oil, all whipped up in to a balm formula.

I can thoroughly recommend that anyone should have this as a staple in their first aid kit, especially if you are travelling somewhere where mozzies are likely to be prevalent - it could be a lifesaver. It heats up the bite and then cools the skin, creating a tingling sensation that takes the itch right out of the bite - just what I needed!

E x

No comments:

Post a Comment