Friday 7 September 2012

My Pick of the Best Winter Kicks

Like many girls, every winter, I like to find myself a good pair of winter boots. That one pair that will be your go to for everyday warmth (and grip!) when the weather takes its usual downturn. Last winter I picked up a pair from Topshop that were suede with little buckles up the side. They were only £40 and so unsurprisingly, after wearing them to death, they are now a little holey. I lived in these through the snow and rain as they had a great tread on them (I'm sounding a bit middle aged now). The time has come to replace these well loved loved little treasures.

I have been keeping my eyes peeled for my next purchase since September arrived and our hot spell ended. The shops seems to be waaayy ahead of me already and have had their winter woolies on sale since mi-august, I'm sure. Not really that helpful when it's 30 degrees outside now, is it. This didn't stop me having a browse though.


The above is a little pick of my favourites so far. As you can see, I can never decide whether I want to go for a brown pair, or a black pair. Historically, I usually go for brown but perhaps this year could see a change - how exciting.

From the top, left to right:

The 'Strappy Ankle Boot' by Zara - These first caught my eye as they are very reminiscent of the Vivienne Westwood boots that were EVERYWHERE a few years ago. Obviously the Zara pair are a severe cut in price compared to Vivienne's ones, retailing at £49.99. When on, these slouch up nicely and would go with most outfits.

The 'Action Buckle Side Ankle Boots' by Topshop, for £65.00. I love these, but not quite sure if they are bordering a bit more on the mumsy side of things. Hmm.

The 'Biker Ankle Boot' again by Zara. I think these are my fave of the bunch. I actually tried them on yesterday but managed to resist. They feel really quality and I love the look of them, they are the perfect height. At a mere £59.99 I think they are great value for money - I was expecting the price to be nearer £100. I promised myself that if they are still around by next pay day then I may take the plunge. Budgeting at its best ;) This kind of challenge is always a gamble as the product turnover in Zara is huge, stuff never sticks around for long!

The 'RIFF Gold Buckle Trim Leather Biker Boot' by Dune. These are my second favourite, I saw these in the window when I was walking past and just had to go in and admire. They cost £120 and sadly, I have to doubt whether they are worth quite that much. They have those weird fake buckles on them and the zip feels a bit cheap. There are lovely, and the leather is very soft but they don't feel anywhere near as quality as say the Zara boots above. The sole doesn't feel like it would last all that long either. I'm sorry Dune, but they just looked so good in the window, a bit too good to be true. Bring the price to a respectable £40/£50 and you would hear no complaints, but for £120, I would just expect a bit more.

The 'H by Hudson Rosse Exclusive Ankle Boots' at ASOS, initially introduced to me by my good friend Kelly in her latest post, I absolutely adore these boots. If it weren't for the price tag (£150), I think I would have bought them right there and then. These might take a little more persuasion before leaping in! They do look like you would wear them forever though. They do have a black leather counterpart but they are a bit too 'cowboy' for me, I would love them even more if they were in black suede. 

And finally, the 'Mighty Black Leather Zip Boots', also by Topshop. There is not much to say about these boots, every year Topshop does the same sort of style, last year it was the Ambush boots, this year it is the Mighty boots. They are all a big take on the Acne Pistol boots, but lovely all the same. These are only £45 which I think is a bargain. The only downside is that when I had a look in store, the heel is a bit plastic-ey looking and reduces the look of the boot overall. For that price though, this can be overlooked, they could be a good winter staple for one season, at least.

I am pretty taken by the Zara Biker boots and think that I will probably head for these, as I said, if they are still around next month! I can see them going really nicely with either jeans tucked in, or with a skirt/dress and tights with a big wooly knit. If I could find the same style, but in black, it would be a definite! Perhaps I should extend my search to shops further afield from where I work! I'll keep a look out...

E x


2 comments:

  1. God they look all so pretty and confortable. I would go for the topshop ones just because I love how they smell! :)

    xx
    Flo
    http://holaflo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I went for a sniff I'm afraid so not sure of the smell!! At that bargain price though, I'm definitely tempted x

    ReplyDelete