Wednesday 8 August 2012

Birthday Fun

So if you read this blog often, you will know that I usually write a little round up post on a Sunday evening, including a song or two that I have been listening to that weekend. This Sunday was different, it was something a bit special (my birthday!!) and if you read my previous post, you would know that I spent it in Bristol. 

I love to write these little weekend round ups, I always see lots of bloggers so them but in different ways - Instagram montages, pampering tips etc. I like to write mine more for my own interest than for anyone to read them (they are always a bit rambly anyway!). I like the idea of summarising all the fun (I think) things that we get up to and being able to look back on them later on. Consider it an online diary - which I guess is what a blog really is.

So, on to this weekend. I am a sucker for birthdays, not that I enjoy massive attention or awkward niceties but I like to use them as an excuse to do something you wouldn't otherwise. You know, go for that steak you keep saying you will, who cares how much it costs. Go to that theme park/stay in that hotel/eat your body weight in chocolate etc. etc. Well this weekend was one of those.

We took ourselves off to the Westcountry and in to Bristol for a city break, staying in a lovely room in a serviced penthouse apartment (with these lovely people). It was great, we had a huge bedroom with a large bathroom, big telly, complimentary wine and chocolates on arrival (winner) and even a mini fridge! It was great to have your own privacy to come and go as you like and just relax in comfort and style. It was right by the harbourside and walking distance to lots of bars and restaurants (but not on their stumble home so nice and quiet). 

We got there late on Friday so just nipped out for some food and then were both exhausted so watched some olympics and went to sleep.

On Saturday we walked along the riverside in to the city and wandered around, grabbing some coffee and pastries for breakfast, checking out all it had to offer. We also walked up to Clifton and took a look at the suspension bridge which is quite amazing. 


We stopped for a cheeky beverage in the sun in one of the pubs in Clifton too :)



After lots of exploring, we wound our way back to the room and washed up ready to go out for a drink. We headed to The Apple at J's request and tried some yummy ciders. We then got caught in a torrential downpour whilst looking for some fish and chips for tea so gave up and went to good old Pizza Express.

Sunday was my actual day of birth, so we had stocked up on some pastries and strawberries the night before, and then had ourselves a scrummy champagne breakfast and a very lazy morning, watching the olympics and getting up slowly. In the evening we booked ourselves in to The Cowshed for what the reviews say is "the best steak in Bristol" - right up my street. I have to say, it did not disappoint. We shared a seafood platter to start. 


Followed by some delicious fillet steak with blue cheese sauce (it was my birthday after all!), dauphinoise potatoes, fat chips and some seasonal greens. Oh and a big slosh of Malbec - perfect. The food was faultless and the service was also really great. I would definitely recommend it and 100% return if I am in Bristol again anytime soon.


To top it all off, my lovely mummy posted me a homemade birthday cake, complete with a little gold candle to light. She is a massive cake making fan and is a bit good so it is so nice to feel like I have a little piece of home on my birthday :) The little tea party on top did get a bit squished in transit but considering how heavy handed the Royal Mail can be, I think it faired fairly well!


On Monday, the sad time came for us to leave and come home, but we did stop off in bath on the way. We had initially wanted to stay in Bath itself, but we couldn't find anything central and reasonably priced at short notice. In hindsight, this worked out quite well as although Bath is lovely, you can do it all in a day - which we did!


All in all, we had the best weekend. It was a lovely way to spend a birthday and in a lovely part of the world. I could definitely be very happy living there, once I have had my fun with London of course. It perfectly combines my two homes :)

I would thoroughly recommend a weekend break here and I hope to do it again soon.

E x

P.S. We spent a hilarious hour after breakfast playing face shock. You need to try this. This is where basically one person throws their face around pulling as many silly faces as possible, and the other takes a photo. The still you end up with is always so funny. If you ever have a bored 5 minutes - definitely kills some time! I would include the snaps...but I think anyone who reads this post would be put off coming back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment